Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Public Restroom

Of course Connor's first "I want to poop on the potty" moment had to be at a baseball game in a public restroom - yuck!!

Tonight we went to a Riverdogs baseball game and Connor did great. He watched the game, he clapped, he ate, and he had his picture taken with Adam Richman from Man vs. Food!
















Toward the end of the game, he told me he wanted a new diaper so I took him into the restroom. I was in the middle of changing his diaper when he told me he had to poop. I quickly put his diaper back on and he squatted on the changing table for what seemed like forever with nothing happening except weird stares from people coming and going from the bathroom. I got tired of the looks so I took him into the stall where he could have a little more privacy. He quickly announced that he wanted to poop on the potty. My first response was "oh noooo...you poop in your diaper here" but what does that teach him? So I gave in, cleaned off the toilet as best I could with the wipes and let him sit down. It felt like we were in there forever with nothing happening. Every time I asked him if he wanted his diaper back on, he said "No - I poopin'"

At home, I have to give him some encouragement, but (and I know this sounds terrible) I was too embarrassed to say the things I say to him at home. When our friend came in to check on us, I told her that and she told me not to worry, no one knew who we were, etc. So this is how the conversation went in the public restroom...(and I should make it clear that I did not come up with these things on my own - I read it in a book about potty training - it sounded like a good plan at the time, but I never thought about having to say them out loud in public).

Me: Do you need to poop on the potty?
Connor: Yeah, I poopin' on the potty (but not really trying)
Me: Good...the poop wants to come out...can you make the poop come out in the potty?
Connor: Okay, I poop! (long strains)
Me: Good job, buddy! Make the poop come out. The poop wants to come out.
Connor: I poopin' a big one!
Me: Keep trying...I'll count to three and you make the poop come out...1....2....3....
Connor: (more long strains and then he FINALLY poops) MOMMY...I POOP A BIG ONE!!!
Me: Yes you did...good job!

So to anyone who was in the bathroom, I hope you have kids and understood what we were going through...otherwise you definitely got a big laugh tonight!

We washed and washed and washed our hands then ran outside where our friends were waiting. When they asked Connor what he did, he proudly said "I pooped!!" and got cheers from everyone.

6 comments:

Joe said...

Even with kids we got a big laugh out of that one Andie. Congratulations to Connor and Mom for the first poop and an amusingly embarrassing situation. This could be great first date fodder!

Things I May Regret Writing said...

Congrats! Poo in the potty is a big deal. By the way, my daughter continues to inform me of the sizes of her poo. "That a big one!" is a common phrase. She'll also tell me what color it is, or how many there are. You have some scintillating conversations in your future.

I have a potty training ebook I can email you if you want it. I didn't follow the book, and you sound like you're PTing just fine on your own, but it has some good advice if you want it.

Andie Dougherty said...

I would love the book - any help I can get is appreciated!

Heather Davidson said...

Andie, will you forward it to me too?

Things I May Regret Writing said...

Emailed to both of you! Good luck!

Katie said...

Yeah, Connor! And good job with the coaching, Mom!

I miss you guys so much I can hardly stand it!