Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Potty Time?

This child...I just don't know what to think sometimes!

I bought two potties about 2 months ago, just getting ready for potty training, even though I know he's months away from being ready. I read somewhere that you should get them well ahead of time and keep it around, even in his playroom, so he can get used to it, love it, make it his favorite seat, etc. This may be a little too much info, but I kept it in the living room for a while, then moved it into the downstairs bathroom. Every time I go to the potty, he sits on his potty fully clothed but pretends to go potty too. This has been going on for a few weeks.

I'm in no hurry to potty train him - my plan is to let his school do most of it and they don't even start until he moves into the 2 year old room. But last night, we were just playing and all of a sudden he said "Potty" to me. I said "You have to go potty?" and he said "Yes". So we went in, took his diaper off and he sat on the potty and had a little gas. Yeah Connor!! Then we got up, put the diaper back on, he said "potty", we took the diaper off, nothing. We repeated this about 10 times. Nothing ever happened, but I was so proud that he felt like he needed to go and told me about it. The same thing happened this morning while we were eating breakfast. He had a little gas, then said "Potty" to me. We tried to go, but nothing happened. He ended up pooping in his diaper right next to the potty later, though. One of Tom's favorite expressions was "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand granades", but could this also apply in this situation? Maybe not...

I discussed it with his teacher and she was just as impressed as I was! While it may be just a fluke, I'm going to see what happens over the next week. If he keeps it up, she said she will help at school too, even though they technically don't start until the next room. I'll keep you all posted since I know you're dying to hear what happens next in the world (possible) potty training!!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Just another example of how ahead of the game that Connor is.

Of course, it sounds like you and he are spending a lot of time in the bathroom these days. If it was Tom, I'd say he was messing with you.

jdoughe3 said...

Well, MJ has an entirely different level of interest in the toilet. Lately she's been interested in climbing in and/or on it. This is very stressful and I have to keep the bathroom doors shut all the time - which is no small feet with two little boys constantly hanging out on the can...

Good Lord.

Anonymous said...

What a smart little guy that Connor is! Thanks for keeping up the blog so that we get to see how beautifully you're all doing down south. Love from Peg in Jersey