
Not my best parenting moment, but I thought it was still blog-worthy. I locked Connor in the car yesterday. I was dropping him off for school and somehow locked my keys in the car with him still inside and the car was turned off. Thank goodness we live in SC where the heat isn't a factor...oh, wait a minute...
Really, though, it was not a very hot morning and it was overcast, but of course I was still freaking out. First I called my neighbor to see if he could get my spare key from my house and of course I had the extra key to my house inside my house so that didn't work. Then I tried to get the number for the fire station down the road from his school and was told that this was a 911 call. So I called 911. After 45 minutes, 2 police officers, 2 firemen and a lock smith, they finally got in. Becky, a lady that works at the school, stood outside next to the car the entire time - we decided it was best that I stay out of Connor's sight since seeing me upset may do the same to him. He was perfectly fine! He had grabbed an old dirty garden glove on the way out of the garage that morning so that kept him occupied for about 30 minutes. Then he decided to take a nap. 5 people around him working on the cardoors and he goes to sleep...shouldn't surprise anyone who knows me or knew his father and how much we both loved to sleep! When they were done I got him out, took him inside, got him some water and we both went on about our day.
I really thought he had no idea what had really happened.
Fast forward to this morning...we drove to school like normal with no talk of the incident from the day before. I opened his door, reached in to get him out and he said "The car not locked...where the fire trucks?" As if he thought that was going to be our new morning routine.
3 comments:
Oh Andie, I can just imagine the panic. But great job finding a picture to immortalize the moment! And I love that Connor is still looking for the firemen...
You are a great mother, and apparently, also a great problem-solver!
Love you!
Don't be too hard on yourself...my mother was taking care of Sarah Porter when she was really little...that was back when I could actually go to the gym...I drove up to firetruck and 6 firemen all around the car at my mom's with baby SP locked in the car...they had to break the power locks to get her out, she slept through it all, my mom was a wreck, I took the firemen's pic for the baby book!!
That picture is the best! Every mom that I've told that story to has a similar one to tell so you should not feel bad! Now that I've heard all these stories I'm just wondering when my time is coming...
Post a Comment