Sorry, no pictures tonight, just a request for a little help. It seems that our sweet little Connor has become that kid...yep, the one that bites all the other kids in school...
In the past week, I have signed 4 "incident reports" at his daycare, and today I actually saw the mark he left on one poor little girl.
So...any suggestions? I feel like I've heard everything from "bite him back" (which I just don't think I can do) to hot sauce to listerine strips. His teachers have been doing redirection and timeout and obviously this isn't working very well since he seems to be doing it once a day.
I'm leaning toward the cinnemon listerine strips - maybe cutting them into fourths and seeing if his teachers will try that. One problem (or maybe I'm just lucky) is that he hasn't been doing it at home so I feel really bad that I can't try to take care of it myself.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Hope you'll be hearing from me soon that he is no longer "that kid!"
Thanks!
Andie
9 comments:
Well, it's a downward spiral now...strait to juvenile detention...
I have no advice - I'll ask Mary Jo at school and see what she says. I have heard the "bite 'em back" thing - in fact it's the only remedy I've ever heard...but I wouldn't be able to bite my kids either (they'd taste too bad).
On a related note - MJ bites your shoulder or your knee caps if you're not paying enough attention to her - maybe we should just set the two of them loose together and see if that does it...
XOXOXO,
A
Ahhh, poor Andie! I have no ideas except get him a rabies shot and tell the other kids and parents to relax! Or a remote shock collar like we had for our dogs! :) Just kidding! Good luck!!
http://ceep.crc.uiuc.edu/poptopics/biting.html#why
Dear Andie, Sweet Connor - the above website might help - this is normal in 1-2 year olds, especially boys. What they are doing is fine, redirecting, letting him know he has hurt someone, and modeling words he might be wanting to use - when they don't have all the words they will do what they can to get something. Anyway, all this will pass and you will look on these as the golden years when he is out at night in the car! Love you,Pat
That's a great website, Pat - thanks! I printed a copy of the biting article for his school.
Maybe teething , try some teething rings. Come on people!!!JWR
Tried the teething rings - his teachers tried to give him one last week after he bit and he threw it across the room :)
But great news - we had an entire week without any incident reports so he's on a roll! Maybe it was everyone sending him good thoughts...whatever it is I hope it continues!
By the way, is JWR John Reid? If so, good to hear from you and thanks for the advice. If not, JWR please reveal yourself and I apologize for not recognizing your initials.
"The one and only"
Congrats on a no biting week! Perhaps it was just his way of asking for dog food. Yummy, liver and lamb, can't get enough.
Well I am trying to catch-up on reading on all the Dougherty Blogs, it looks like the biting thing is under control... good luck... I do have a comment on a little video on one of your previous posts... LOL... I'm sorry it cracked me up... it was the one where Seamus gave Connor a mouth full of snow... funny stuff! Also happy be-lated Birthdays to both of you! I am sorry, I have been pretty much hibernating for the winter... I think I will put a warning up next year. Hope all is well!
XOXO
Sabrina
Post a Comment