Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A Peek at Baby Dougherty


We had another ultrasound last Thursday. This is around 34 weeks - only 6 to go! It's not the best picture, but at this point it's difficult to get much of anything since he's so big. His head is on the right (a profile shot) and you can see his nose, mouth and both eyes if you look very closely. I think that's his arm toward the middle/left side.

According to the doctor, everything looks good. He was estimated to be about 5 lb, 7 oz in this picture, which puts him about 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Neither Tom or I were surprised by this considering we were both almost 10 lb babies!! Needless to say, we're not getting our hopes up that he will be early...just expecting a good sized baby.

In between the big alien-like kicks, I've occasionally been feeling little taps that are a few seconds apart and continue for a few minutes each time it happens. I finally realized this morning that he must be getting hiccups. I read something that said it's a good sign because they can't get them until their nervous system is completely developed. Every day I learn something new and become even more amazed by this little miracle happening inside of me.

I should also let everyone know that Tom is a saint for putting up with me!! I have been having a hard time getting sleep because I can't seem to get comfortable at night. As I'm writing this at 4:00 in the afternoon when I'm thinking clearly, I know the reason I can't get comfortable is that I have a child growing inside of me, but in the middle of the night, it's somehow ALWAYS Tom's fault. Poor guy - last night he was watching tv downstairs and I thought the reason I couldn't sleep was because it was too loud. I asked him to turn it down, and of course he did. Then I woke up a little later and decided that the volume was okay, but the surround sound was making the entire house shake too much for me to sleep. So I stomped downstairs and told him we were going to have to get rid of the surround sound for a while. If I weren't pregnant, I'm sure those words would have gotten me kicked out of the house to sleep in the car or something, but he's so wonderful - just takes my uncontrollable outbursts with a grain of salt. He just asked me to sit downstairs with him for a while, which I did, and after a few minutes I was able to go back upstairs and go right to sleep. How did I get so lucky?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marrying Doughertys is always a good idea.

jdoughe3 said...

Wow. That last comment said it right.

Thanks for sharing the pic - he's beautiful already. Can't wait to meet the little stinker. I've got a shedding sheepdog stuffed animal with the kid's name on it.....

Anonymous said...

You guys are just the cutest!!! The baby's room looks great and ready for some partytime @ 2:00am feedings! This blog business really helps to keep everyone in touch and to share in the fun and excitement. Best of luck and good health in the New Year.

Katie said...

I can't believe we're getting so close to arrival time! I don't know, but it is definitely starting to feel real to me now. I guess when you actually have a baby growing inside of you, its been real fora much longer time, huh?

Love ya!